Hsin-Yi Kathy Cheng
Hsin-Yi Kathy Cheng
Associate prof., Graduate Institute of Early Intervention
Director, Center of Innovation and incubation
Chang Gung University
PHD in Mechanical Engineering
2004 Aug – 2008 May Chang-Gung University TaoYuan, Taiwan
Areas of concentration:
Design & clinical application of assistive devices, Biomechanics of lower extremity, Movement analysis of the disabled.
Master of Science in Motor Control and Learning
1996 Aug – 1999 Jul University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA
Areas of concentration:
Motor control and learning, Neuroscience, Balance and postural control, Exercise design & training for normal & disabled children
Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy
1989 Aug - 1993 Apr National Taiwan University Taipei, Taiwan
Licensed Physical Therapist
-Board of Physical Therapy in Taiwan Taiwan, ROC
-Board of Physical Therapy in Pennsylvania PA, USA
-Board of Physical Therapy in New York NY, USA
- Pittsburgh Specialty Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA. Jul 2000 – Jun 2002
- South Hills Health System-Home Health Agency, Pittsburgh, PA. Jul 1999 – Jun 2000
- NovaPro, Pittsburgh, PA (PRN) Jun 1999 – Jun 2002
- Shin Kong Wu Ho-Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan May 1993 -- Apr 1996
- National Art College, Taipei, Taiwan Apr 1995 -- Sep 1995
Assistive technology/Medical engineering/Biomechanics/Motor development and motor control /Physical therapy
- Cheng CH, Chien A, Hsu WL, Yen LW, Lin YH, Cheng HYK*: Changes of postural control and muscle activation pattern in response to external perturbations after neck flexor fatigue in young subjects with and without chronic neck pain. Gait & Posture. 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2015.02.007. (SCI: 2.299; sports science Q1: 18/81) (corresponding author)
- Cheng HYK, Yu YC, Wong AMK, Tsai YS, Ju YY: Effects of an eight-week whole body vibration on lower extremity muscle tone and function in children with cerebral palsy. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 38: 256-261, 2015.(SSCI: 2.735; rehabilitation Q1: 2/68; special education Q1: 1/37) (1st author)
- Cheng HYK, Ju YY, Chen CC, Chuang LL, Cheng CH: Effects of whole body vibration on spasticity and lower extremity function in children with cerebral palsy. Human Movement Science, 39:65-72, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2014.11.003. (SCI: 2.027; sport sciences Q2: 22/81) (1st author)
- Tsai YS, Yu YC, Huang PC, Cheng HYK: Seat surface inclination may affect postural stability during boccia ball throwing in children with cerebral palsy. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35: 3568-3573, 2014. (SSCI: 2.735; rehabilitation Q1: 2/68; special education Q1: 1/37)
- Cheng CH, Ju YY, Chang HW, Chen CL, Pei YC, Tseng KC, Cheng HYK*: Motor impairments screened by the Movement Assessment Battery for Children-2 are related to the visual-perceptual deficits in children with Developmental Coordination Disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 35: 2172-2179, 2014. DOI: 10.1016/j.ridd.2014.05.009. (SSCI: 2.483; rehabilitation Q1: 4/67) (corresponding author)
- Cheng CH, Cheng HYK, Chen CPC, Lin KW, Liu WY, Wang SF, Hsu WL, Chuang YF: Altered co-contraction of cervical muscles in young adults with chronic neck pain during voluntary neck motions. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 26(4): 587-590, 2014. (SCI: 0.175; rehabilitation Q4: 62/64)
- Hwang AW, Wu IC, Chen CN, Cheng HYK, Chen CL: The correlates of body mass index and risk factors for being overweight among preschoolers with motor delay. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 31: 125-143, 2014. (SCI: 1.125; rehabilitation Q3: 39/64)
- Ju YY, Lin JK, Cheng HYK*, Cheng CH, Wong AMK: Rapid repetitive passive movement promotes knee proprioception in the elderly. European Review of Aging and Physical Activity, 2013. DOI: 10.1007/s11556-013-0125-9. (SCI: 0.947; geriatrics & gerontology Q4: 37/45) (corresponding author)
- Chen CL, Wu KPH, Liu WY, Cheng HYK, Shen IH, Lin KC: Validity and clinimetric properties of the Spinal Alignment and Range of Motion Measure in children with cerebral palsy, Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 2013. DOI: 10.1111/dmcn.12153. (SCI: 2.918; pediatrics Q1: 14/115)
- Yu YC, Lien YJ, Ju YY, Cheng HYK*: The effect of lower body stabilization and different writing tools on writing posture in children with cerebral palsy. Journal of Taiwan Occupational Therapy Association, 31: 94-110, 2013. (TSCI) (corresponding author)
- Cheng HYK, Lien YJ, Yu YC, Ju YY*, Pei YC, Cheng CH, Wu DBC: The effect of lower body stabilization and different writing tools on writing biomechanics in children with cerebral palsy. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34: 1152-1159, 2013. (SSCI: 3.405; rehabilitation Q1: 2/67) (1st author)
- Cheng HYK*, Ju YY, Chen CL, Chang YJ, Wong AMK: Managing lower extremity muscle tone and function in children with cerebral palsy via eight-week repetitive passive knee movement intervention. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 34: 554-561, 2013. (SSCI: 3.405; rehabilitation Q1: 2/67) (1st and corresponding author)
- Cheng HYK, Cheng CY, Ju YY*: Work-related musculoskeletal disorders and ergonomic risk factors in early intervention educators. Applied Ergonomics, 44: 134-141, 2013. (SCI: 1.428; engineering Q2: 12/43)(EI) (1st author)
- Cheng HYK*, Ju YY, Chen CL, Wong MKA: Managing spastic hypertonia in children with cerebral palsy via repetitive passive knee movements. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 44(3): 235-240, 2012. (SCI: 2.049; rehabilitation Q1: 13/62) (1st and corresponding author)
- Chen CL, Hong WH, Cheng HYK, Liaw MY, Chung CY, Chen CY: Muscle strength enhancement following home-based virtual cycling training in ambulatory children with cerebral palsy. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 33(4): 1087-1094, 2012. (SSCI: 3.405; rehabilitation Q1: 2/67)
- Cheng HYK*, Ju YY, Lin CL: Design and validation of a dynamic stretch splint for plantar fasciitis. Medical Engineering & Physics, 34: 920-928, 2012. (SCI: 1.623; biomedical engineering Q3:38/72) (EI) (1st and corresponding author)
- Ju YY, Liu YC, Cheng HYK*, Chang YJ: Rapid repetitive passive movement improves knee proprioception. Clinical Biomechanics, 26: 188-193, 2011. (SCI: 2.071; biomedical engineering Q2:27/72) (EI) (corresponding author)
- Ju YY, Cheng HYK*, Hsieh YJ, Fu LL: Work-related musculoskeletal disorders in athletic trainer. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 21:190–198, 2011. (SSCI: 2.795; rehabilitation Q1: 5/67) (corresponding author)
- Chen HC, Hung SS, Chen CN, Cheng HYK: Materials and applications of assistive technology devices for the elderly: the prevention of fall and the fall-related fracture. Industrial Materials, 288: 102-108, 2010.
- Ju YY, Wang CW, Cheng HYK: Effects of active fatiguing movement versus passive repetitive movement on knee proprioception. Clinical Biomechanics, 25: 708-712, 2010. (SCI: 2.071; biomedical engineering Q2:27/72) (EI)
- Chou SW, Cheng HYK, Chen JH, Ju YY, Lin YC, Wong MK: The role of the great toe in balance performance. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 27(4): 549-554, 2009. (SCI: 2.811; orthopedics Q1: 9/65)
- Cheng HYK, Lin CL, Chou SW, and Wang HW: Nonlinear finite element analysis of plantar fascia during windlass mechanism. Foot & Ankle International, 29(8): 845-851, 2008. (SCI: 1.218; orthopedics Q3: 33/65) (1st author)
- Cheng HYK, Lin CL, Wang HW, Chou SW: Finite element analysis of plantar fascia under stretch – the relative contribution of windlass mechanism and Achilles tendon force. Journal of Biomechanics, 41(9): 1937-1944, 2008. (SCI: 2.434; biomedical engineering Q2:19/72) (EI) (1st author)
- Liu HL, Sun MT, Lin CL, Cheng HY, Wei KC, Su WK: Biomechanical analysis of interbody and posterolateral fusion with transpedicular screw fixation for spondylolisthesis: a finite element study. Biomedical Engineering-Applications Basis Communications, 20(3): 145-151, 2008. (SCI: 0.236; biomedical engineering Q4:70/72) (EI)
- Cheng HYK, Lin CL, Lin YH, and Chen CY: Biomechanical evaluation of the modified double-plating fixation for the distal radius fracture. Clinical Biomechanics, 22(5): 510-517, 2007. (SCI:2.071; biomedical engineering Q2:27/72) (EI) (1st author)
- Smiley-Oyen AL, Cheng HYK, Latt LD, Redfern MS: Adaptation of Vibration-Induced Postural Sway in Individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. Gait and Posture, 16: 188-197, 2002. (SCI: 2.123; sports science Q1: 21/85)
- Hsieh LF, Liaw ES, Cheng HY, Hong CZ: Bilateral Femoral Neuropathy After Vaginal Hysterectomy. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 79: 1018-1021, 1998. (SCI: 2.284; rehabilitation Q1: 10/62)
- Lin CL, Cheng HYK, Liu HL, Kuo CH, “Range-of-motion adjustable dynamic joint stretch splint”, Taiwan invention patent. 2011/06/11(Patent No.: I343252).
- MOST103-2221-E-182-048: “Design and develop an assistive technology indexing system based on the functional needs of the disabled”, 2014/8/1-2015/7/31. Principle investigator.
- NSC102-2218-E-002 -010 –: "患者自控式下肢癱瘓者交替式助動步行矯具", 2013/8/1-2014/7/31. Co-principal investigator.
- NSC102- NSC 102-2622-E-182-004-CC2:” The development & application of sustained drug release elastic tape”, 2013/6/1-2014/8/31. Principal investigator.
- NSC102-2410-H-182-020:’’Effects of martial art training and ball activities on visuomotor skills in children’’ , 2013/08/01-2014/07/31. Co-principal investigator
- NSC102-2218-E-002-010–:’’Self-controlled lower limb reciprocal walking orthosis’’ , 2013/08/01-2014/07/31. Co-principal investigator.
- NSC101-2410-H-179-015:” Role and function of the anti-tipping device during serving in wheelchair tennis”, 2012/08/01-2013/07/31. Co-principal investigator
- NSC99-2314-B-182-008-MY2:”Effects of repetitive passive movement on lower extremity muscle tone and function in children with cerebral palsy”, 2010/8/1-2012/7/31. Principal investigator.
- NSC97-2314-B-182-038-MY2:”Development and clinical evaluation of a second-generation dynamic foot stretch splint”, 2008/11/1-2010/8/31. Principal investigator.
- ‘’Needs analyses for the disabled year 2014, Taoyuan County’’, 2014/06/12-2014/12/31. Co-principal investigator. Taoyuan County Government Social Welfare Bureau.
- GMRPD1C0071: The development of Child Development Checklist multimedia system and its clinical evaluation. 2013/06/28-2013/12/24. Principal investigator. Department of Health, Taipei City Government.
- SCRPD1C0021: The design and validation of individual-based exercise instruction video. 2013/3/20-12/31. Industrial Technology Research Institute of Taiwan.
- CMRPD1D0131: The impact of ergonomic risk factors on work-related musculoskeletal disorders in special education personnel. 2014/1/1-2015/8/31. Principal investigator. Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital.
- CMRPD1A0691-2: Effects of a computer program prototype for visuo-perceptual screening in children with developmental coordination disorder. 2012/7/1-2014/6/30. Principal investigator. Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital.
- CMRPD190292: Effects of biaxial pen on writing biomechanics among preschool and early elementary school children, 2011/6/1-2012/5/31. Principal investigator. Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital.
- CMRPD190291: Effects of biaxial pen on writing biomechanics among preschool and early elementary school children, 2010/6/1-2011/5/31. Principal investigator. Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital.
- EZRPD180311: Development and clinical evaluation of a second-generation dynamic foot stretch splint, 2009/8/1-2010/7/31. Principal investigator. Ministry of Education.